Pax Christi International endorses statement to the 59th session of the Commission on the Status of Women
As an NGO with special consultative status at the United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC), Pax Christi International has endorsed a statement to be submitted to the 59th session of the Commission on the Status of Women, scheduled for 9-20 March 2015. The statement, initiated by UNANIMA International, calls for an intersectional approach to the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action, especially with regard to women’s migration.
The following recommendations are put forward to the Commission on the Status of Women:
- Integrate and prioritise female migrants in the future of the Beijing Platform for action.
- Empower female migrants through policies regarding economic and political equality for women and migrants.
- Recognise the discrimination and abuse female economic migrants face at all stages of immigration.
- Employ intersectional language so that a woman’s gender is not recognised as the only barrier to the full expression of her human rights.
- Promote the empowerment of women through an agenda focused on agency and autonomy.
The 'Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action' was adopted by the Fourth World Conference on Women in 1995. It is considered the most progressive blueprint so far for advancing women’s rights. To learn more about this initiative, click here.