Pax Christi International joins other NGOs to promote faith approaches during the European Development Days
10/6/19 - Pax Christi International, together with other faith-based NGOs (World Vision, Islamic Relief Worldwide, Act Alliance EU, Brot Fur die Welt, EU-Cord Network, Baha'i International Community) is organising a lab debate and a stand during the European Development Days taking place in Brussels on 18 and 19 of June. The activities of the interfaith group aim to promote the role of faith-based approaches and actors in addressing inequalities in the EU context.
In many settings religious groups and faith-based organisations, as members and partners of Pax Christi International, form a major component of local and national capacities. Faith dynamics therefore need to be explored more systematically. These activities aim to provide the participants with a deeper understanding about how to explore these dynamics and draw on them towards sustainable change. Practitioners from the grassroots and policy makers will share their challenges and highlight opportunities which need to be tapped into.
During the lab debate on the 18th of June, reflections will be offered by these speakers with a faith and EU background:
- Henriette Geiger, Director of the Directorate People and Peace of DG DEVCO
- Hon. Judge Mohammad Abou Zeid, a judge in the Family Court of Saida - Lebanon, Islamic Relief Worldwide, who is a vigorous advocate for gender equality, child rights and protection, and an activist in several Lebanese NGOs focusing on culture, education, development, relief, peacebuilding and reconciliation
- Shreen Saroor, a partner of Brot für die Welt in Sri Lanka, who is a senior human rights activist and involved in promoting and defending the rights of minorities and girls/women
- Maryknoll Sister Pat Ryan, Founder of Human Rights and Environment (DHUMA)/Pax Christi Peru), who has extensive experience collaborating with indigenous communities resisting extractives projects (read her extensive bio here)
- Christo Greyling, World Vision International’s Senior Director for Faith and External Engagement
UPDATE: JUNE 18-19, 2019
- Photos from lab debate and stand
- First video of Sr. Pat Ryan of DHUMA in Peru, at the lab debate
- Second video of Sr. Pat Ryan of DHUMA in Peru, at the lab debate
- Video of Sr. Pat Ryan at the COMECE, CAFOD, CIDSE event