USA: Pax Christi USA joins "Back from the Brink: The Call to Prevent Nuclear War" campaign
9/8/19 - Pax Christi USA has joined the "Back from the Brink" campaign to call on local legislatures in the USA to pass resolutions demanding steps toward preventing nuclear war. The campaign began on the anniversary of the Hiroshima atomic bomb, August 5, 2019 and extends through the anniversary of the Nagasaki bombing on August 9, 2020.
The campaigna sks: "Can you imagine the United States abolishing nuclear weapons?" This campaign is a next step toward making this a reality. PCUSA regions, local groups, and members are invited to participate in a one-year campaign to call on their local legislatures to pass the "Back from the Brink" anti-nuclear resolution (www.preventnuclearwar.org). PCUSA will post progress as individual groups report on their goal and actions.
The resolutions states:
We call on the United States to lead a global effort to prevent nuclear war by:
- Renouncing the option of using nuclear weapons first;
- Ending the sole, unchecked authority of any U.S. president to launch a nuclear attack;
- Taking U.S. nuclear weapons off hair-trigger alert;
- Canceling the plan to replace its entire nuclear arsenal with enhanced weapons;
- Actively pursuing a verifiable agreement among nuclear-armed states to eliminate their nuclear arsenals.